Popular Posts

Monday, September 18, 2006

Sneaking out in the middle of the night

So when Mr. Hyperactive extraordinaire was at the always fascinating age of 15, he began sneaking out of the house. Actually he had done it for years but at 15 he had a purpose. A girl. This particular girl's parents were interesting people, they didn't mind having my son sleep with their daughter, but man they got pissed when he sneaked in her window!
But that is another tale, for another day.
So, one night I'm sound asleep in my bedroom, which happens to be directly above the garage where the dogs sleep. It was 3AM when I woke up to the sound of the dogs barking like crazy. I perked my ear toward the open window and heard a familiar voice saying "Shut up stupid, shhhh your gonna wake Mom up!" Hmm Codys out again I mumbled. I grabbed my robe and began making my way down the stairs. His brothers, also alerted by the dogs, were coming to see what all the ruckus was about. We quietly opened the door, peeking out so as to catch him. That of course being the only possible way to get a confession out of him. If he were to escape unseen, he would claim that he had never left his bed, and in fact had eaten breakfast with us that very morning. We of course would have been dumbfounded once again by his magnificent ability to fabricate outrageous lies. Then after a day or two, we would begin to think that we were in fact the crazy ones, and had merely thought he was gone. Maybe he had eaten with us that morning and we had simply forgotten. Cody had an incredible way of making a person question their own reality.
So we see his silhouette, bent over picking something up. I Flip the front porch light on, and there he is! Just rolling up the garden hose like it was perfectly normal to be doing such a thing at three in the morning. "What in the wide wide world of sports is going on out here Cody?" I asked in shear amazement. "Nothing I'm just rolling up the hose." He replied as calm as you please. "At 3 in the frickin morning?" His brother chimed in. Cody looked at us, shrugged his shoulders and began making his way up the front porch steps. "Well" he says, "I better get back to bed." We watched him slowly grasping the railing for balance. It is not easy climbing stairs with a full backpack, saggy blue jeans and roller blades on your feet!
But I guess if your into rolling up hoses in the wee hours of the morning, that is the appropriate attire.

1 comment:

angel said...

oh my goodness- i'm really going to have to watch damien...